Thursday, October 02, 2014

balls in the air


I haven't even moved into my new house, and I am already thinking about decorating ideas.

My house in Salem reflected who I was.  A 1926 house filled with minimalist black and white furnishings -- with Italianate overtones.  I really liked living in that house.

For the past five years, I have been renting a furnished apartment.  The place is cozy and tastefully decorated.  But nothing there (other than my computer work station) gives a hint of my personality.

That is why I am looking forward to moving to a place that will be my own.  I already told you how I fell in love with the lines of the new house.  It is contemporary Mexican -- evoking the style of the Mexican modernist architect Luis Barragán. 

The current furnishings carry through on Barragán's minimalist style.  I simply need to find something that will now reflect who I am.

Such as, turning the house into a meeting place for my friends and acquaintances.  The courtyard will be the primary venue.  But I envision a special role for the living room.

I love movies.  And I like experiencing them with other people.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, movie night is brewing.  Friends.  Popcorn.  Long discussions on what we watched. 

Maybe once a week.  Or twice a month.  The details don't matter.  But the idea has possibilities.

While we were wandering through the electronics deparment at Selfridges a couple of weeks ago, Patti grabbed my arm, and said: "That is what you need in your living room."



And she was correct.  Hanging in front of us were 12 speakers strung from the ceiling on red chords -- all sprouting from a red cylinder. 

At first, I thought it was a sculpture -- and a rather captivating one.  But they were actually highly-rated, functioning speakers.  A perfect match for the white austerity of my new living room.

There were a few problems.  The first is that the French-made Elipson Sound Tree is not offered for sale in either Mexico or The States. 

In this world of globalized trade, that is a mere trifle.  The French, like any other merchants, could find a way to put a set of their globes in my hands -- or on my ceiling.  Finding the curator-trained engineer to install them might be another issue.

The second problem is a bit more difficult to overcome.  The cost.  In this case, £14,899.99.  If you have forgotten our little conversion exercises while we were discussing English real estate, that is about $24,135.08.  A bit more than I had planned to spend on a good speaker system.  Even a sculptural one.

So, I will pass on the French red balls.  Undoubtedly, something just as good will offer itself to me in the near future.

After all, it takes time to reproduce the self.


No comments: